In Vienna there are countless possibilities to spend nice days and with our tips you can start planning your activities.
Get some inspiration from our suggestions: especially outdoor activities where you get plenty of fresh air are always very popular.
The temperatures are slowly becoming milder again and spring is approaching - walks through the most beautiful landscapes of Vienna are always recommended, but on sunny days all the better for our spirits. Hiking in and around Vienna is possible due to well signed Vienna city hiking trails and can be reached by public transportation. You will get to enjoy attractive viewpoints in the Vienna Woods on the edge of the city or Vienna’s local recreation areas.
On the website of Vienna Tourism you will find a collection of links relating to virtual tours through various museums. Even if sights cannot always be experienced live due to some travel restrictions, you can still start a virtual journey of discovery in the meantime and put together your personal wishlist of things to do during your next stay in Vienna. Guided tours and events are currently not taking place, but a visit on site is possible again. Simply find out more beforehand on the relevant websites of the museums, art halls etc.
The Vienna State Opera currently has a particularly great offer. There are currently still no performances, but the State Opera can be visited in a tour in the meantime (Friday - Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.), admission is free of charge. Architecture fans are sure to enjoy a visit here. Opera tip: If you miss experiences the performances a lot, there is a good alternative - take advantage of the opportunity of watching free performances at home (for television viewers in Austria and the worldwide streaming audience).
The joy of young and old is certainly huge, because Vienna Zoo is welcoming visitors again. A lot has happened during the closing days, discover the young animals and new residents on a tour of the zoo.
For everyone who wants to combine nature and culture, there is the new Vienna open-air stage - which opened in summer 2020 - in the private garden of Palais Schwarzenberg in 1030 Vienna (along Prinz Eugen-Straße/corner of Plößlgasse). Theater im Park am Belvedere offers open-air entertainment and cultural enjoyment at the highest level. Take a look at the current program of the artists and look forward to a great performance in the open air.
With the Vienna City Card or the Experience Edition, you can also get attractive benefits for your visit to Vienna, or with the ivie, the digital city guide app for Vienna, you can get a great companion for your visit to Vienna.
** As always stay safe and healthy! Your Smart Apart Living Team **
Event visit in Vienna
Combine your city trip to Vienna with an event visit in a special atmosphere and spare yourself the long journey home, by booking one or several nights in our Smart Apart Living.
"Vienna is different" - in addition to numerous historic places, Vienna also offers venues for many events. These range from classic music from the Vienna Philharmonic to various pop and rock festivals as well as sport events. That is why many fans and supporters of these festivals like to spend their time with fans all over the world in Vienna.
Austria's capital is offering the opportunity to combine the historic city tour with an event visit.
Here is an overview of the highlights:
PLEASE REFER TO THE RELEVANT WEBSITES FOR INFORMATION ON WHETHER EVENTS ARE TAKING PLACE OR FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT REPLACEMENT DATES.
- The Ehrlich Brothers will go on tour with a brand new show. "Dream & Fly" will be the biggest magic spectacle ever produced for a tour. Don't miss it on May 15th and 16th, 2021 (Wiener Stadthalle).
- The singer Celine Dion had to postpone her World Tour „Courage“ until 2021, on Mai 20, 2021 we will hopefully get to enjoy her concert at Wiener Stadthalle.
- On June 9, 2021 Green Day / Fall Out Boy / Weezer with their Hella Mega Tour will be at the Ernst Happel Stadium.
- June 23 to July 11, 2021 Jazz Fest Vienna: The most beautiful venues in Vienna usually turn into jazz stages in summer, you can find out how this will take place this year on the website.
- AEROSMITH "the greatest American rock band of all time" is going on tour through Europe again and is scheduled to play in the Wiener Stadthalle on July 15, 2021.
- Vienna Major 2021 is planned for August 11- Aug 15 on Vienna’s Danube Island: Don't miss this exciting beach volleyball event!
- Filmfestival Vienna´s City Hall Square/Culture and cuisine: Top Productions and classics of music, opera and dance will be shown from July 3rd until September 5th, 2021 in front of the impressive backdrop of the Vienna City hall.
- The Amadeus Austrian Music Awards are the most important Austrian music award, the award ceremony will take place for the 21st time in 2021. The top event of the Austrian music scene is planned for September.
- The next Vienna City Marathon, Austria's biggest sporting event, will take place on September 12, 2021.
- September 17 until September 19 of 2021: The Danube Island Festival is an open-air music festival with free admission and takes place at the Danube Island with many top-acts. There will be a #dif21 summer tour starting in August.
- WIESN will be a hybrid event in autumn 2021- The Vienna WIESN becomes a partly digital folk festival again. So do not miss the folk festival Wiener Wiesn from September 23rd until October 10th, 2021.
- The Viennale is Austria’s most important international film event and will take place from October 21 until November 2, 2021.
- From October 25th until 31st, 2021 the Erste Bank Open will take place. The Vienna Tennis Spectacle (Wiener Stadthalle) you should not miss.
- You should not miss the concert of James Blunt „Once Upon A Mind Tour“ October 7, 2021 at Stadthalle Vienna.
- „Die Schlagernacht des Jahres“ features the Who is Who of the German Schlager scene and will take place at Wiener Stadthalle on November 13, 2021.
- Sunrise Avenue is now coming to Wiener Stadthalle on November 26th, 2021 as part of your “Thank You For Everything Tour”, this concert should not be missed.
- The concert "Metallica "S&M" Tribute Show with Symphony Orchestra" should take place on November 27, 2021.
- The appearance of Lords of the Sound on November 28, 2021 (Wiener Stadthalle) is much more than a concert - it is a real show!
- The legendary band Opus will come to the Wiener Stadthalle for the last time on December 16, 2021 as part of their Goodbye Tour.
- In January of 2022 the eventlocation Wiener Stadthalle opens its doors again for spectators who are fascinated by pure entertainment on ice: Holiday on Ice 2022- Supernova – a journey to the stars offers a perfect show experience and you shouldn't miss that. The audience can look forward to a fantastic journey from the earth to a distant galaxy and admire great costumes and a breathtaking choreography – that’s world-class figure skating.
- Hopefully, Pizzera & Jaus can really present their program „wer nicht fühlen will, muss hören“ on February 23rd, 24th and 25th 2022 (Stadthalle).
- The two Austropop musicians Markus Kadensky and Roman Messner named "Edmund" will come to the Wiener Stadthalle on April 16th as part of their "Leiwand" tour 2022.
Even musical fans will not miss out on their visit to Vienna. Enjoy a great musical evening watching productions like Cats, Miss Saigon (Premiere in autumn 2021) or others. Information can be found here.
Do not miss the open air performance of the successful musical Elisabeth on the grand forecourt of Schönbrunn Palace from July 1st – 3rd, 2021
Here you can find more events and information.
** As always stay safe and healthy! Your Smart Apart Living Team **
Recreational opportunities in Vienna
Vienna was named most liveable city several times already! This city simply scores with its endless range of cultural and leisure activities.
Perhaps there is something suitable for you in the following suggestions.
It doesn't matter whether you want to take a walk through a park, soak up healthy forest air or enjoy the sight of a sea of flowers in the beautiful gardens. Nature lovers will also find what they are looking for in a big city like Vienna. You can find a nice overview and inspiration about the Green spaces and recreation areas on the website of the Vienna Tourist Board.
Another place to go skating can be found near the city park and is called Wiener Eislaufverein and offers visitors until end of March (considering that the weather conditions allow it) the opportunity to relax and do their laps on the ice. You should find out all the important information online before heading there because the number of free spaces is continuously updated there.
At the top of the Kahlenberg a great view over Vienna is guaranteed. If you are looking for a perfect outdoor adventure day, this is the place to go. Kahlenberg World of Adventure: Enjoy your climbing adventure at the forest rope park in the Wienerwald Biosphere Reserve or try the 3D archery course with bow and arrow.
For all active people, Vienna has a large network of cycle paths, the various cycle routes lead you to many places of interest. Maybe you would also like to try out one of the seven mountain bike routes that lead into the Vienna Woods.
The bike rental at one of the over 120 CityBike stations requires only a few clicks. Alternatively, you will also find what you are looking for at the Main Train Station (Hauptbahnhof): „dieRadstation“ offers not only bike rental but also a service for example to fix a flat tire.
An excursion to the Lainz Game Reserve (Lainzer Tiergarten) is a great nature experience for the whole family. The children will love the forest playgrounds and will learn a lot of interesting facts about plants and animals at the forest and nature trail.
And if you're planning a picnic or desire to enjoy a great breakfast, you will find the oppoutunity to do so in the Helmut Zilk Park. The bakery called DerMann offers with its location there a unique atmosphere. In addition to baked goods and sweet pastry, breakfast, snacks, soups, salads, drinks and small hot meals are also available. Current opening hours can be found on their website.
** As always stay safe and healthy! Your Smart Apart Living Team**